There is no hiding the fact that the Orange hotspot PTN is arguably the best producing yellowfish fly across the country. After spending some time with Gary Glen-Young on different KZN rivers chasing Natal scallies with Jig buggers and seeing many impressive fish landed on these patterns. It was a no brainer to merge the patterns and add the PTN hotspot colours onto a jig bugger. Although these type of flies can be used as nymphs, I found that it is better fished on the end of 13/15 foot leader swinging the fly across shallow runs as well as fishing them like a still water streamer pattern in the deeper pools. This fly has definitely earned the reputation as one of my “go to” Natal Yellowfish fly.
- Hook: Partridge Wide Gape Jig #14 – #18
- Bead: Tungsten Slotted Gold 2.5mm – 3.5mm
- Tag: Wapsi Ultra thread 140D Brown
- Body and tail: Wapsi Strung Marabou brown
- Ribbing: Wapsi Ultra wire Small – Gold
- Thorax: Wapsi Super Bright Dubbing – Fl Fire Orange
- Thread: Semperfli Nanosilk 30D 18/0 Brown